If your business is interested in serving/ selling alcohol beverages (beer, wine, and/or distilled spirits) within the city limits of Dawsonville, the establishment must first obtain an alcohol license from the City of Dawsonville through the office of the City Clerk. License periods run from January 1st through December 31st of each year. If a license is issued after July 1st, the tax amount of the license is half the normal fee.
Please submit your completed application and all required supplemental materials Monday - Friday to City Hall at 415 Hwy. 53 E. Suite 100 from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. If you have any questions, please call (706)265-3256.
All businesses are required to purchase alcohol from a wholesale distributors.
How to apply for an Alcohol License
- All businesses must first obtain an Occupational Tax Certificate (Business License) from the City of Dawsonville.
- Applicant must complete the Alcohol application and submit, completed and notarized, with an application payment.
- The Business will undergo verification of Occupational Tax (business license) as well as status of any fees or taxes due to the City.
- Applicants must meet business type, citizenship, zoning, location, distance requirements, and fingerprint investigation, and other requests as required by the City Clerk’s Office to ensure compliance with the provisions of the Dawsonville Alcoholic Beverage Ordinance. Alcohol Pouring Permits are required on all employees who serve, sell or handle alcohol.
- The completed application is reviewed by the City Clerk or his/her designee and submitted to the City Council for approval or denial.
- The normal processing time, with advertising, may take up to 60 days.
A City of Dawsonville Alcohol Beverage License is issued in accordance with regulations and requirements outlined in the Dawsonville Code of Ordinances
Businesses licensed to sell liquor by the drink on their premises (restaurants) shall pay excise tax per liter and must file a monthly return with the City of Dawsonville for collection/reporting of excise taxes. See Excise Tax Form
Renewing your Alcohol license
All Dawsonville Alcoholic Beverage Licenses expire December 31st of each year, and the City will mail out renewal applications in November. The State of Georgia Alcohol Licenses expires December 31st of each year also. Please contact the Georgia Department of Revenue (404) 417-4900 or visit them at https://gaefile.dor.ga.gov/HelpLinks/welcome.htm
to renew your Georgia Alcohol License.
Please Note: Renewals Received after November 30th but before December 30th are subject to a Late Filing Fee. Businesses failing to renew their alcohol license by December 30th must reapply for a new license, which may take up to 60 days.
All employees of each establishment with consumption on-premises must ALL have current employee pouring permits on file with Dawsonville City Hall before a renewal license will be issued.
To report underage alcohol violations (24-hours a day), please call the Dawson County Marshal’s Department (706)344-3500 x 42332 or GA Department of Revenue (877) CHECK-ID.